March 15, 2013

Red Ruby Heart in a Cold Blue Sea

Red Ruby Heart in a Cold Blue SeaRed Ruby Heart in a Cold Blue Sea
by Morgan Callan Rogers

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I actually thumbed through this book as I was reading another and landed on a page in the middle of the book. The words "hot tuna" stuck out and drew me in.

This books is about a girl named Florine and the turbulent waters she faces in her teenage years. The story mainly begins when Florine's mom, Carlie, goes missing on a trip. Florine was 12yrs old when her mother went missing and she struggled to move forward and realize that her father was trying to do the same thing. The next 6yrs go by with Florine and her three friends: Bud, Glen, and Dottie growing up in The Point. Florine's struggles with her father moving on to find some closure and attention had her reeling. Then disaster strikes as her rock, her grandmother, dies and leaves her "alone".

The other characters in this book were mainly her father, Leeman; her grandmother, Grand; and her father's gf, Stella. All the characters were pretty much likable except for Stella. She had liked Leeman when they were kids and left The Point only to return to him married. She kind of came across as really desperate and basically preyed upon a broken man. But that is just my opinion.

This book is a great read and I'm glad I had a chance to read it. The only thing that could have made it better was some kind of closure on Carlie's story. What really happened to her? Do I see a sequel in the future?


No comments:

Post a Comment