July 16, 2013

Review: Captain America Costume












Now I don't have to tell you that there was a very excited little boy waiting for this costume to arrive. It was shipped quickly and the costume arrived in excellent condition. I had to hide it when it got here because I wanted to make sure I got before pictures of the costume itself. Do you know how incredibly hard it is to hide something from a 4yr old? Yea, not easy at all.

So the costume comes much like costumes you buy in the big department stores. Paper cover showing the costume in all its glory, a plastic "bag" with a hanger attached, and the costume folded neatly inside.










The first thing I photographed was the hat or headgear. It had a large silver "A" on the front and silver wings on the sides. It has some elastic dead center on the back for a more snug fit on the head. The kiddo apparently has a larger than average sized head as it didn't fit him very well. It did stay on his head, but the eye holes were a bit off for him. It is a definite easy fix, something that I can take care of with my sewing machine. I just need to take a little from the inside of the eye holes and then fix the edging so it doesn't unravel or anything. It didn't seem to bother him at all so its something that I can take some time on doing.

The rest of the costume is an all in one type deal. Like footie pajamas, but without the feet. There are 4 velcro "buttons" on the back to keep the costume closed. They worked really well and were strong enough to keep it closed even after a few hours of play. The size I got was a 4-6 and it fit perfectly, the kiddo is a size 5.







He jumped, leaped, ran, kicked and punched in the costume and it held up great. He definitely gave it a bashing while giving the bad guys, a.k.a his cousins, a bashing. He really enjoyed the fake muscles and even flexed to show me his muscles. He found it really funny for some reason that they made him look so big.

It has now been a few weeks and I've had to hide it because he wants to wear it out everywhere. To the store, park, mall, grandma's house - everywhere! He sleeps in it as well and I'm sure if he could bathe in it he would. I'm sure he could battle some "sea monsters" while in there. This goes to show you that costumes aren't just for Halloween, but can be used for daily play time.









I did wash the costume and it held up really well. It does have a little bit of the white furries, but I can just use some "tape" and take them off. It's really simple and not that big a deal. The colors are still vivid, the velcro still works, and there is no piling at all. The costume didn't seem to have any shrinkage either which is great. The costume goes for $30 at BuyCostumes.com which is a great price because it is a quality costume. They have free shipping for orders over $75 so you can get for all the kiddos and yourself and not worry about having to wait in line. If you're like me then you end up waiting till its almost too late and have to fight to find a decent costume at the store. You end up leaving with some cheaply made costume that isn't worth the $20 you've paid for it. But with the kiddos screaming and getting pushed around by other late shoppers you take it. It doesn't last till next year either because it shrinks in the wash and doesn't fit. Or the colors fade, the buttons or velcro fall off and you're left with a new rag for your car windows.



So if you're looking for a great wide selection of costumes then check out BuyCostumes.com and you will definitely not regret it. Also, don't think that buying in July is too early because before you know it October will be on us and then it'll be too late for you.


I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.


No comments:

Post a Comment