October 22, 2012

Michal's Window by Rachelle Ayala Book Review






 When I received this book I thought it was going to be hard to get through it. I am more used to reading shorter books, but this wasn't going to deter me. Another thing that didn't deter me was the fact that this book is retelling a biblical story. I am not a religious person so was a bit wary that it would be overly religious and turn me off. This was not the case, even though there is a scripture at the beginning of every chapter, the rest of the book didn't have it so in your face.

Michal's Window retells the story about King David and his first wife Michal. You're basically reading the story from Michal's point of view, which was refreshing. The book moved along and I found myself getting frustrated with Michal. How could she put up with David's selfishness? Then I reminded myself that this took place where women weren't so independent. So then I lightened up on her character and just tried to enjoy her little "quirks".

David was a great guy and his character was very likable, well until he kept insisting on having more than one wife. Again, I reminded myself that this was the norm for men of that time. Actually it still is pretty norm for some people, Sister Wives anyone? After reading the whole story I can tell why Michal fell in love with him.

Overall, Ms Ayala did an excellent job of retelling a age old love story in her own words. I enjoyed it and I think you will too! Even if you aren't religious like me, or even if you are this story is sure to hit the spot!





Disclaimer:  I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.


No comments:

Post a Comment