May 31, 2012

Reader's Nook Reviews - The Banker


THE BANKER
BY MICHAEL DRYSDALE

I was given the chance to read and review this book and was pleasantly surprised. At first glance I wasn't sure if it would hold my attention. The banking world isn't exactly the most exciting for me personally. This book, while it is focused on banking, is so much more. With recent bank woes and distrust of CEO's this book brings us into the life of one such person. Sir Phil Black is a CEO of a major bank and didn't really get there because of good merits. He lied and cheated his way all the way to the top, and ends up paying for it. He starts dealing with some old Russian mobsters, who in turn lose a lot of money when the bank crashes. Sir Phil Black then ends up "becoming" a bird watcher and is sent to Ecuador to try and hide from said mobster.

Michael Drysdale really keeps the story moving, there are moments where my eyes glazed over though. Like I said I'm not huge on banking or the financial world. He always got me back on track though and I was never lost for too long. This book was exciting and really had me rooting for the "bad guy" Sir Phil at the end. The end...now that was something I didn't see coming at all. I mean how much bad luck could one guy have? Well I guess a lot if he is being chased by Russian mobsters, the English Govt, and the US Govt. I won't go into too much detail and ruin the story, but it is really great. It really made up for those parts where the banking terminology got too much for me. 

This was a great thriller and the twists in this book were amazing. It is definitely a book you should put on your must read list. 

If you'd like to purchase this book for yourself you can find it on Amazon.com - it is either $2.99 for the Kindle edition or $12.29+ for the paperback book.

**I received a copy of this book to review and all opinions are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment