September 11, 2013

Hormel Rev Wraps






I was excited to try out the new wraps from Hormel courtesy of BzzAgent. They're called "Rev" Wraps and there are 8 different varieties:
  • Pepperoni Pizza
  • Ham & Cheese
  • Peppered Turkey
  • Meat Lovers Pizza
  • Italian Style Ham
  • Hot Pepper Ham
  • Italian Style
  • Spicy Italian Style

They come packaged in a plastic container and are really easy to open. Sadly my area grocery store only had four of the varieties - Ham & Cheese, Peppered Turkey, Meat Lovers Pizza, and Pepperoni Pizza. Of course I bought all four of them so I'd be able to try them all out.


Click to Enlarge
 The first one I tried was the #3 Peppered Turkey. The wrap uses one large round piece of cheese, three slices of turkey, and wrapped around that is a wheat flat bread that reminds me of a tortilla. It has 220 calories, 90 Fat calories, and 18g of protein. I was a little alarmed with the sodium in the wrap, it was 41% (950mg). Right now I am watching my salt intake so I changed up my dinner as to not go over my limit. I decided that I could make it my own by adding some of my favorite ingredients - spinach, mixed greens, and avocado. The result was super delicious and really filling. I wasn't sure that I would be satisfied with just one wrap, but I really was. The flatbread didn't hold up very well and did start to tear a bit when I started working with it. It held up enough for me to finish my meal and in the end it wasn't that big of a deal.




Click to Enlarge


The next wrap I tried was the Ham and Cheese and again I wanted to be a little creative. I figured I'd have this one for lunch so I got an egg, some spinach, and the Rev. The Ham & Cheese has 240 calories, 110 fat calories, and 17g of protein. This wrap too had a lot of sodium in it: 990mg to be exact. I didn't want to use up too much of my daily intake so I took out two of the slices of ham. Each wrap comes with three small round slices of meat, and one large slice of cheese. I separated the egg white from the yolk and poached it. The spinach I left alone as I don't care much for cooked spinach. This was a fantastic late breakfast for me and really held me over till I had my small lunch later in the day. I didn't feel hungry in the least and didn't feel tired afterwards.






Sadly I wasn't able to get pictures of the last two wraps as they mysteriously disappeared from the fridge. I don't know if the nobody ghost visits your house, but it practically lives in mine. You know the nobody ghost, right? Something gets eaten and nobody touched it in the house, even when you have 5 suspects they of course push the blame onto the nobody ghost. Either way I'll do my best to give you some info on the last two: Pepperoni Pizza and Meat Lovers Pizza. When I went to the store they didn't have any in stock so I may do another post featuring these two wraps as I actually had some great ideas for them.

Obviously they're both pizza wraps and I wanted to turn them into pizzas. I planned to unwrap them and throw the flatbread into the over to crisp up a bit. Then I would have taken it out, put a bit of pizza sauce on it, cut the cheese and pepperoni (for the regular pepperoni wrap) into small shreds to evenly coat it. I think doing it this way would be a totally fun way to get the kids involved in their own lunch making. You could also cut down on the ingredients so the sodium isn't too high. The pepperoni pizza has 300 calories, 180 fat calories, and 16g of protein. It has 990mg of sodium in it, so you can obviously see the trend. The last is the Meat Lovers Pizza, again I wanted to make it into an actual pizza and think it would have turned out awesome. It has pepperoni, spicy salami, genoa salami and mozzarella cheese. The nutrional value is: 280 calories, 160 fat calories, and 15g of protein. The sodium is 950mg making it a 41% dv.

I would love to see some low sodium varieties hit the market because these are really great. They're convenient, tasty, and relatively inexpensive. The cost about $1.98 for each wrap and while they do look small, they will definitely fill you up. I also would have liked to have seen some condiments inside because I normally don't eat a ham and cheese sandwich without mustard. I don't know if that would cost more to add, but I think it's something they should definitely look into.

You can find Rev Wraps at most grocery and supermarkets, although you might not be able to find all varieties at first. So if you see them in your store don't pass them up because they have potential to be a great meal. Don't be afraid to customize it either!



Disclaimer: I received 1 free product coupon and 9 - $1.00 coupons to share. I was not required to write a review. All opinions are my own and no further compensation was given. 

No comments:

Post a Comment