January 21, 2013

Book Review: The Massive



By Brian Wood
Genre: Action, Adventure
Ages: Teen, Mature 


The story behind "The Massive" is definitely one that plays on the fears of practically all the world. With everyone really bringing environmental issues to the forefront, The Massive is like a window into what could happen. Okay maybe not that extreme, but really who knows what could happen when "mother nature" actually says enough and tries to get rid of us like a bad rash. In the book the world is left under water with the oceans polluted, not that far from the present. It's action packed with everyone in the story taking on the, "every man for themselves" mentality. Seriously who can blame them with the world's largest nations under water and everything in shambles.

You follow a group on a boat called, "The Kapital" and they're in search for their sister ship, "The Massive". Everyone on both ships are activist trying to fix the world after the devastation. The story moves pretty fast back and forth between different characters and settings. This was my only issue as it lost me a couple times. Sometimes a certain character was in one chapter and the next they were missing, then back to being in the next chapter. The drawing style is highly stylized with sharp bright colors and highly detailed illustrations. The characters are really well thought out and seem real and relevant.

It was jam packed with adventure and action, which is why I gave it a teen/mature rating. There is quite a bit of violence with shoot-outs, etc. The environmental issues brought out in this book were not lost on me. The simple fact is that this could be our future. That fact makes this story that much more real. Don't let the fact that it is a graphic novel throw you off! The Massive is a great read and would definitely add to your book collection.


Disclaimer: I received this book in order to do a review courtesy of Netgalley, all opinions are my own and no further compensation was given.


4 comments:

  1. We stumbled over here coming from a different page and thought I might as
    well check things out. I like what I see so i am
    just following you. Look forward to finding
    out about your web page again.

    My web page :: Lift and glow pro reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all I would like to say awesome blog! I had a quick question in which I'd like to ask if you don't mind.
    I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your mind prior to writing.

    I've had a tough time clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out. I truly do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are generally lost simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks!

    My blog post: Saffron X Weight Loss

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to thank you for the efforts you've put in writing this website. I'm
    hoping to view the same high-grade content by you later on as
    well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get
    my own website now ;)

    My blog post :: Buy Trimextrin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really loving the theme/design of your blog. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility problems? A handful of my blog audience have complained about my blog not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome. Do you have any solutions to help fix this problem?

    Visit my blog :: Slim Lipo Plus

    ReplyDelete