March 20, 2013

Campbell's Braised Beef Stew



 CAMPBELL'S SLOW KETTLE SOUP
 BRAISED BEEF STEW




I was lucky to get to try out the new Campbell's Slow Kettle Soup. It comes in a pop top small tub, where the top works as the cover. There are 7 different varieties as of now:
  • Braised Beef Stew
  • Kicken Crab and Sweet Corn Chowder
  • Portobello Mushroom & Madeira Bisque
  • Roasted Chicken & Chardonnay
  • Southwest-Style Chicken Chili
  • Tomato & Sweet Basil Bisque
  • Tuscan-Style Chicken & White Bean

All of the Campbell's Slow Kettle soups contain less than 300 calories per serving. For every soup you get 2 servings of 1 cup. I got the top off and grabbed the tab, sadly though it was a little work to get the top actually open. I was kind of scared of spilling it every where. Once it was opened up I can honestly say I didn't think it was very appetizing. The orange color with the tiny bits of veggies floating around didn't get me thinking happy thoughts. But you never know how something will taste until you try it out. So I grabbed a pan and dumped the soup into it so it could get nice and hot.




Don't laugh at my extremely beat up pot!

While I waited for the soup to heat up I decided to check out the nutritional values and all that good stuff. I was actually really saddened by what I saw. I have been trying to live more healthy this year which means cutting down on my salt intake, calories, and carbs. The sodium was 830mg for just one serving. Everything else was fine for me, but for having that little bit of a serving it was just too much salt. For adults you should have anywhere from 1,500mg to 2,400mg daily so to have almost half of that in 1 cup of soup is just not acceptable for me. With that being said I measured out my 1 cup and planned the rest of my day around it so I could really try it out and give my honest opinion. It's a good thing I love salads because I had a great salad for dinner.

Now back to the soup! It has braised beef with baby bella mushrooms, carrots, celery, roasted potatoes and burgundy wine. The beef was tender and not chewy at all, it fell apart so easily. The potatoes were firm and not mushy. I didn't notice the mushrooms too much, they were cut a bit small and really blended in with everything else. The carrots and celery were a bit softer than I like, but they weren't unpleasant. The taste was good and wasn't salty at all, which was a good thing.

Overall, the taste was good, the quality was there and it made a good, albeit small, lunch. I really hope that Campbell's makes a lower sodium version of these because they are really tasty. I did also try the chicken chili and wow - delish!

Disclaimer: I was sent this product by Smiley360 for the sole purpose of trying the product out. All opinions are my own and no compensation was received.



3 comments:

  1. I am going to have to get some of these for my husband and my son. My son carries items like this for lunch at work. I am always looking for something different for the both of them to try.
    awhartness@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I mentioned above they do contain a bit salt so if you son or hubby has salt intake issues then they can really only have half of one soup. That was my only complaint and issue. The chicken chili is delish, btw!

      Delete
  2. I'm getting ready to eat some of this in a minute so I appreciate the reviews! Love from San Francisco,CA USA
    (PS: I don't think I'll put any salt in it) :)

    ReplyDelete