February 24, 2013

The Taste: Tuesday at 8|7c on ABC




photo belongs to ABC

So there is a new cooking show out there and surprise it isn't on the Food Network. Yup ABC has brought their own food challenge show to their Tuesday line-up. So the whole premise for the show is 4 "mentors" will each coach 4 cooks ranging from professional chefs to home cooks.

photo courtesy of ABC - all rights reserved
The 4 mentors are famous chefs in their own right: Anthony Bourdain, Nigella Lawson, Ludo Lefebvre, and Brian Malarkey. I can honestly say I hadn't heard of Ludo or Brian at all. I had seen Nigella on a couple of shows, but my favorite of the quartet is definitely Anthony Bourdain. I love his shows, all on another tv station, and am totally biased as to whom I want to win. He has a straight forward way of speaking and cooking and I like that. Nigella seems really soft spoken, and has an easy way about her. Ludo is definitely a bit more harsh and more hot tempered. Brian seems like such a trash talker and always seems to pick on udo, though it is kind of funny to see Ludo get all bent out of shape. The contestants all seem to be pretty good cooks and of course I've already picked the one person that will be the "villain" -- GREG. Yea this guy, whether its real or not, definitely acts like a jerk and is so sure of himself. He's the type of character you want to see fail just so he can realize he isn't as good as he thinks.

So each of the 16 contestants have to cook up a dish - which in turn is served up on a spoon. Yup, just one taste to see who gets immunity and one taste to see who is out at the end of the competition. The spoons are blind tested so the judges have no clue until the very end whose spoons they liked and didn't like. Episode 4 was a hard one for Ludo and Nigella as the 4 on the bottom were from their teams, two cooks from each team. They would be sending home 2 cooks, the two they decided had cooked the worse dishes. I wasn't surprised at who got sent home though and look forward to next Tuesday to see what happens next.

Overall its a really great show and the interaction between the mentor/judges and the cooks works pretty well. Just as long as the crazy antics doesn't get to out of control the show will be fantastic.  I'll definitely keep watching though because I love Anthony Bourdain. I'm sure I mentioned that already, but thought I'd mention it again. If you want to catch ABC's new show, The Taste it airs on Tuesday nights at 9/8C. Here is a link to check out the most recent episode - http://abc.tv/Z3jimp! Also if you want to check out other episodes you can go to The Taste on ABC and look under recaps.


*Disclaimer: I watched the show and reviewed it for Influenster and ABC. No compensation was received and all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment