November 27, 2012

Assassin's Creed III Art Book Review




© 2012 Ubisoft Entertainment. All Rights Reserved.


So I was really excited to get this book. It was a total surprise for me, but wow its amazing. I have loved exploring the world of Assassin's Creed I and II, and have yet to get my hands on the third installment. This book ended up being an introduction to the game. Sort of like a backstage pass to see all the things going on behind the scenes. The images in the book are much more crisp than my cruddy picture taking has made them look. The front of the book shows the main character, Connor Kenway, standing in a tree above a group of soldiers. The back of the book shows a few scenes from the movie and has a short synopsis of what you'll find inside. Assassin's Creed III takes place during the Revolutionary War in America, a perfect time for an assassin to come out, right?
© 2012 Ubisoft Entertainment. All Rights Reserved.



There are seven chapters in this book with 141 pages full of wonderful images. The images include sketches and concept art followed by commentary from Ubisoft's artists. If you love video games, Assassin's Creed, or just like looking at great art you'll love this book. Writer Andy McVittie's paragraph long commentary are throughout the book along with special excerpts from the games various artists.

The seven chapters are: I Present World, II Characters, III Forest and Frontier, IV Boston, V New York, VI Homestead, and VII Battle at Sea.

I. The Present World shows Abstergo with very hard angled modern buildings highlighted by the artificial lighting we "love". The images that are shown are dark and ominous, but give you a great sense of the feeling the artists were trying to give.The world looks strangely familiar, and thats because the artists made it so life like it seems I'm looking at the streets of my own city.

© 2012 Ubisoft Entertainment. All Rights Reserved.

II. The characters chapter is self explanatory. You have beautifully sketched images of all the characters presented in the game. You can see the dramatic changes between Connor's appearance to what he ended up being. There are nice little historical tidbits about the historical characters that are featured in the game. This was probably my favorite chapter as you could get a really good feel of the character's backgrounds, etc.

The next few chapters show the other landscapes and areas that you'll be seeing in the game. Some of the images came off as a little dark, but really that's just how the game is. I can't wait to play the game as I have loved the first two installments. I'm hoping Santa brings it to me for Christmas, hint hint.

© 2012 Ubisoft Entertainment. All Rights Reserved.




So if you love the Assassin's Creed Franchise and would like to see the work behind it, I totally recommend getting this book. It just adds another level to the game play to see all the hard work and care that goes into creating an awesome game.





*Disclaimer: I received this book from Titan Books to review. All opinions are my own and no further compensation was given.

No comments:

Post a Comment