October 2, 2012

Reader's Nook Reviews: The Survivor



THE SURVIVOR
BY SHELLEY SHEPARD GRAY






Synopsis:
Mattie's body has healed from the cancer that nearly took her life . . . but can she find the man who can mend her lonely heart?
Mattie has faced more in her twenty-three years than she ever imagined possible. Having successfully battled cancer, she's ready to reenter the world with hopes for her future. But while she was in and out of hospitals, other Amish girls her age were courting and finding the men they would marry. The only man who's ever made her heart beat faster is Graham Weaver, her best friend, who has always been there to comfort her, in good times and bad. Is it finally time for their friendship to become something more?
But cruel gossip is spreading, claiming that Graham's the father of the baby Jenna Yoder's carrying. Will Mattie's dreams of a happily-ever-after be crushed before they've left the ground?

My Review:
This is book three in the Families of Honors set and focuses on the character named Mattie Lapp. Now normally I wouldn't think a story about Amish families would be a highly compelling read, but I was wrong. Shelley Shephard Gray is a fantastic writer and was able to really bring not only the characters, but the events and setting to life. Everything seemed so real and I could smell the rain wafting through my room. Of course it could have been the huge storm that came through right when I was reading it.

Now with that being said this is a romance book minus the edgy sex some other romances have. Its just a sweet love story or should I say love triangle. I can say Jenna Yoder was not a favorite character of mine. Jenna was an ex girlfriend of Graham Weaver (the love interest of Mattie) and she lays down some shocking news. Having a child out of wedlock is something many young women face today so seeing it from a different perspective was interesting.

All the books in the series are superbly written and I think you'd fall in love with the series just like I did.


*Disclaimer: I received this book to do a review and all opinions are mine. There was no further compensation given.

No comments:

Post a Comment