July 7, 2012

Chocolate Cake - The Semi-Scratch Version


Chocolate Cake - The Semi-Scratch Version


So I was sitting here just browsing around online and thought, huh I want to bake something. Now I could have opted for a box cake mix, but I was feeling adventurous. I searched online for an easy recipe to try out and found one for chocolate cake. Well I love chocolate cake and so does the family so why not give it a shot.

I grabbed this cake recipe:
  • 1 1/3 cups plain flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 125g butter, melted, cooled
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

I made sure I had all the ingredients and I did! I ended up adding a little more cocoa powder to the recipe for a more chocolatey taste. It was pretty simple and sadly I didn't get pictures of the whole mixing of ingredients. Now for the frosting I did cheat and use some store bought frosting. I had some Duncan Hines frosting with the flavor packs just sitting there so decided to try the orange. It reminded me of orange creamsicle and had a great taste. In the future I'll try and make my own frosting, but I figured one step at a time.

The cake took the same amount to cook as the box kind at the same heat. The only thing that I didn't like was how dense the cake was. I wasn't sure why it didn't come out so moist and fluffy like my box mix cakes. I'll be searching online for a way to remedy that little problem. The taste was great though and I liked that it wasn't too sugary at all. Because of the extra cocoa I added it really reminded me of a dark chocolate candy bar with its slight bitterness. The kids didn't complain and seemed to eat it all up so I guess they didn't notice. lol I'll certainly be making this cake again and many other types as well. Practice makes perfect and this is one thing I'll definately practice doing.


Want a slice?

No comments:

Post a Comment