March 8, 2012

Pssst...I have Hamburger Helper

So I received two boxes of Hamburger Helper from Pssst, a program run by General Mills. I got two flavors Ultimate Beef Stroganoff and Cheesy Italian Beef. Also sent with the package was 10 coupons for .70 off of one box of either of those flavors. 

So I grabbed some ground beef out of the freezer to defrost while I made a quick run to the store. Now I have a family of 8 living here so one box was not going to cut it. While at the store I had to make a choice, which flavor would I make. First off neither flavor was being carried at my HEB store but regular Stroganoff was. So I decided to get one box of that to add to my Ultimate Beef Stroganoff. 


In order for this to come out just right, I needed to use 2 1/4 cups of milk and 1 1/4 cup of water per box. There was no difference in the amount of ingredients used per box which was a bit surprising to me. I guess the Ultimate had to be in the flavor packet. Once I had added everything the kids came around to tell me how great it smelled, but of my boys said, "Eww I don't think I'll like that!" Well we will have to see about that, won't we?


So after about 20 minutes it was all done and ready to be eaten. I think the color is definitely lacking, it looks like a colorless mess, but believe me it was really tasty. All the kids ate and even had seconds! The flavor was good and more intense, which  I believe is where the Ultimate comes from. Again, I wish there was more color and maybe that's something that I can look into when adding veggies or herbs in next time I cook it. 


Overall it was really good and with 2lbs of ground meat, some milk, water, and the Hamburger Helper I was able to feed my family of 8 for less than $10 in only 20 minutes. You can't beat that!