March 8, 2012

Pssst...I have Hamburger Helper

So I received two boxes of Hamburger Helper from Pssst, a program run by General Mills. I got two flavors Ultimate Beef Stroganoff and Cheesy Italian Beef. Also sent with the package was 10 coupons for .70 off of one box of either of those flavors. 

So I grabbed some ground beef out of the freezer to defrost while I made a quick run to the store. Now I have a family of 8 living here so one box was not going to cut it. While at the store I had to make a choice, which flavor would I make. First off neither flavor was being carried at my HEB store but regular Stroganoff was. So I decided to get one box of that to add to my Ultimate Beef Stroganoff. 


In order for this to come out just right, I needed to use 2 1/4 cups of milk and 1 1/4 cup of water per box. There was no difference in the amount of ingredients used per box which was a bit surprising to me. I guess the Ultimate had to be in the flavor packet. Once I had added everything the kids came around to tell me how great it smelled, but of my boys said, "Eww I don't think I'll like that!" Well we will have to see about that, won't we?


So after about 20 minutes it was all done and ready to be eaten. I think the color is definitely lacking, it looks like a colorless mess, but believe me it was really tasty. All the kids ate and even had seconds! The flavor was good and more intense, which  I believe is where the Ultimate comes from. Again, I wish there was more color and maybe that's something that I can look into when adding veggies or herbs in next time I cook it. 


Overall it was really good and with 2lbs of ground meat, some milk, water, and the Hamburger Helper I was able to feed my family of 8 for less than $10 in only 20 minutes. You can't beat that!

8 comments:

  1. The Ultimate Beef Stroganoff and Cheesy Italian Beef sounds good - maybe not look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stroganoff is my absolute fave flavor of Hamburger Helper. It's also good if you use 1/2 sausage and 1/2 beef. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely have to try that next time!

      Delete
  3. This is one of the only flavors that I dont like so much.I love Hamburger Helper though. Its easy and fast to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Fried Rice the best, but this was okay. Not my most favorite but not the worst.

      Delete
  4. Hamburger helper is one of my favorites! They are one of the few things that can please any of my family without one person not liking something about it. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I love it because it's so easy to make and with so many people in this house, I'd be slaving away for hours!

      Delete